how we started
The Barnacle Buoys have known each other for many years but we did not realise that we all had something in common; the appreciation of shanty music. After making the discovery the Buoys got together in February 2013 and shared a pint or two in the Old Inn, Clevedon and experimented with a few shanties. The rest, as they say, is history.
The Buoys have their own unique style, pleasing our audiences and raising money for charity, primarily Children’s Hospice South West and the RNLI.
We have become very popular in the North Somerset area and have performed at many events in the South West, creating musical mayhem in order to raise money. Venues include
- Falmouth International Sea Shanty Festival 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- Bridgwater Quays Festival 2018
- Gloucester Sea Shanty Festival 2016 and 2017
- Bristol Folk Festival 2015 and 2016
- Exmouth West Country Traditions 2016, 2017 and 2018
- Bristol 'Severn Seas' Shanty Festival 2015 and 2018
- Clovelly Maritime Festival 2016 and 2017
- Watchet Live Music Festival 2015
- Bristol Harbour Festival 2015
We hope to continue with our development, adding numbers to our audiences and increasing the volume of funds raised for our chosen charities.